Workouts & Practical Exercise Tips
Select your physical ability level:
The Beginner Training Routine is for athletes, runners or active consumers and professionals new to ShinTekk. This routine introduces the resisted dorsiflexion exercise to build strength (using the three Performance Resistance Bungees) or rehab an injury (using the three Rehab Resistance Bungees) and increases in intensity gradually over the course of 12 weeks.
Practical Exercise Tips
- You can use ShinTekk sitting down or standing up. See the User Guide for specific ways to use ShinTekk in either position. NOTE: When using ShinTekk, make sure your heel is pressed firmly down on the base when lifting the U-Bar with the top area of your foot just below your toes.
- With all resistance dorsiflexion exercise, posture and body alignment is critical. Keep the shoulders and hips aligned, tighten the abdominals, and relax the knees. Be sure to practice the safest posture possible by maintaining a natural spinal curve.
- Use the Resistance Bungee prescribed by your athletic trainer, physician or therapist for the prescribed sets and repetitions for lower leg training. Rest between sets.
- Include proper warm-up and cool-down activities with your resistance or flexibility training program.
- Perform all exercises and stretches in a slow and controlled manner. At no time should you feel “out of control”; remember to control the Resistance Bungee rather than allowing it to control you. Do not allow the Resistance Bungee to snap back.
- Avoid hyperextending or over-flexing joints when exercising or stretching for lower leg training. Don’t lock the joints.
- Breathe evenly while performing exercises or stretches. Exhale during the more difficult phase of the repetition. Don’t hold your breath.
- For beginners, perform the resistance dorsiflexion exercise or stretches with the lightest Resistance Bungee until you are comfortable, then add the next level resistance. Begin with 8 to 10 exercises that target major muscle groups or joints.
- Exercise with the color Resistance Bungee that was prescribed for you, or with a color that allows you to complete two to three sets of 10 to 15 repetitions with mild fatigue on the last set.
- Progress to the next color Resistance Bungee when you are able to complete the three sets of 10 to 15 repetitions easily.
Information for Healthcare Professionals
In addition to general strength and fitness programs that include lower leg training, resistance dorsiflexion exercise is indicated for rehabilitation of a variety of injuries, including shin splints, ankle sprains, knee strains and other muscle soreness:
- Resistance training for
- Postural impairments
- Motor function impairments
- Muscle performance impairments
- Stretching exercises for muscle length impairments
- Balance training for balance and gait impairments
- Cardio training for cardiorespiratory impairments
- Functional and sport-specific training for functional limitations
For patients using the ShinTekk as part of a home therapy program, it is imperative to instruct the patient on the safe and proper use of the ShinTekk and the correct Resistance Bungees (Rehab tension Resistance Bungees).
Recommended by professional athletes, marathon runners, and leading trainers, coaches, and clinicians
ShinTekk has been tested and endorsed by professional athletes and trainers for the NBA, NHL, and many other sports franchises, as well as runners, cyclists, fitness experts, physical therapists, and sports medicine and healthcare clinicians across the country.